top of page

Insurance 101

Events at Blue Barn Berry Farm require that any vendor providing service at our space have proper liability insurance. We do this to ensure that you are working with reputable vendors who will not only do a great job for you, but also treat our venue well and follow our policies.


Although there are certainly hundreds of qualified event vendors to choose from, we highly recommend choosing vendors that are already on our preferred vendors list, since getting new vendors approved takes time, and some vendors may be difficult about getting the right documentation turned in.  If you do decide to use a vendor who is not on our preferred list, please note:

  • If a vendor fails to submit all their paperwork at least 30 days before the event, a fee may be applied for the administration rush of approving them.

  • Outside vendors must sign a Vendor Agreement and send us a Certificate of Insurance (sample) listing us as an additional insured.

The Client is responsible for confirming these documents and getting approval before they sign a contract with the vendor.

How to Get A New Vendor Approved


  1. Send them the link to the Vendor Agreement to fill out and submit.

  2. Your vendor will need to submit a Certificate of Additional Insured (COAI). If the event is far enough in the future that their current policy will have expired, they can submit a copy of their Insurance Certificate as proof of coverage and then get us a COAI 30 days before the event. You can see a sample COAI here. Need insurance? Scroll down to view a list of possible providers. COAIs can be emailed to


We have been in the business long enough to have worked with many of the hundreds of vendors. Most of them are great to work with, but unfortunately there are some bad apples in the bunch that our past clients have had issues with. We don't want any of our clients or their guests to have a bad experience on their event day. We have chosen a select list of exceptional vendors on our Preferred List that we encourage you to look at. 

What if my vendor doesn't have insurance

If your vendor doesn't have insurance, either you or the vendor will need to purchase a one-day policy. Most one-day policies range from around $90 to $200, depending on the type of vendor and their risk level. Your vendor might be able to get one-day insurance through their homeowner's insurance. They can also look into reputable insurance companies like The Event Helper.  

What's the COAI?

General liability insurance, or GL, in short, is a business insurance policy that protects a company due to negligence, accident, or property damage. 

As a venue, we of course have liability insurance that covers us if, say, someone slips on a puddle that our staff fails to clean up. However, if an outside caterer spills water and doesn't clean it up, or a DJ's speaker has a loud pop, rupturing a guests ear drum or they trip on the leg of the speaker causing it to fall with them (along with many other known occurrences), that vendor is responsible for the liability on their service while on our property.   The entity/vendor can create a situation that you or us cannot control that causes damage to your guests or property.  This shouldn't cost the DJ or vendor enough to change their pricing structure and there is

typically no additional cost.

The venue is to be named as an additional insured on the vendor’s policy so that if they cause an accident or damage, their insurance company will be contacted about their incident. Having a vendor doesn't have liability insurance puts the venue and the client at risk for their actions.   sample-coai.pdf

Click here to see a sample COAI!


Our clients are responsible for making sure that all their vendors are approved and insured. In the event you have a vendor show up who is not approved, there will be a $100 fee taken out of your security deposit for each vendor who is not approved. They will also be asked to complete an electronic Vendor Agreement and purchase an instant, online insurance policy.

Still need day-of insurance?  

Check these companies out! 

Warsaw, IN Clevenger Insurance (wedding) (Vendor or wedding insurance)

One day DJ Insurance

Vendor Agreements

If you’d like more information, get in touch today.

bottom of page